Monday, June 20, 2011

Green with Envy..




I am sure you have noticed that in the last few posts I start my entry by showing you some paintings in the colour scheme I have chosen to write about. I will be the first to say I know little about art, or art history and what little I do know is because a majority of my friends have degrees and or careers in the art world. How lucky was I to end up in the retail industry? But I digress..

I think like many artists/photographers their work may be individual or unique but they draw their inspiration from other sources. I love colour, and history and so they both tend to be my sources of inspiration. I am drawn to 19th century art just as much as abstract. It's all about the emotions I connect to the piece. Nostalgia, excitement, melancholy, yearning, happiness....all feelings I get when I am attracted to a work of art.

Green is second only to blue in terms of the most picked 'favorite' colour of people when asked. And generally that is because it has a lot of positive attributes to it. It is considered to be a soothing, and relaxing colour that alleviates depression, nervousness and anxiety. (hmmmm. perhaps I need to paint!) It is a colour that creates a sense of renewal, self control, balance, and harmony. In terms of interior spaces, it is for these reasons that green is often used in bathrooms, and work places.

People who are drawn to the colour are said to be very understanding, self-controlled, adaptable, sympathetic, compassionate, generous, humble, romantic...and no surprise here, nature lovers.

At the moment I actually have vases in my apartment filled not with flowers, but florist greens. They add a touch of woodland freshness and work well with my charcoal walls, and other blue green furnishings and photographs I have hanging. I particularly love the look of an all white space whether rustic or contemporary, and then a large art piece with fresh greens.

It makes me green with envy....











Here are some of my favorite green photographs I have taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment