Monday, June 13, 2011

Feeling Blue..



Blue...

I once posted some photos I had taken on Facebook and had a friend reply I was in my 'blue period'. At the time I did not grasp the reference, but now know that she was referencing Picasso's Blue Period (1901-1904) Blue is one of my favorite colours, and with most things it is the deeper, darker blues that I am most drawn too. Cobalt, Indigo, Midnight blue. Blues that are inky, moody and rich.

I looked up some facts around the colour blue and in some cases I discovered some interesting tidbits. Blue is traditionally associated with depth and stability. It usually symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, and truth. It is traditionally a masculine colour, but it is also associated with power, confidence and expertise. (Many business uniforms such as police, postal, the conservative government!!, tend to use blue for this reason.)

Blues are also known to be beneficial to the mind and body in that they instill a sense of calm, focus, and slow down human metabolism. (so if you need to lose a pound or two, paint your dining room blue!) People also tend to be more productive in a room with blue because of the calming and focusing qualities.

And of course, blue is also associated in many cultures with melancholy. Which of course since I think of myself as being full of melancholy at most times, it only makes sense I am attracted to blue. Now if I could only do something about getting more productive...









Here are some of my photos that have focused on the colour blue....

No comments:

Post a Comment