Saturday, December 26, 2009

2nd Prize


I started my photo adventures in the early months of 2008. Equipped with a digital point and shoot camera I headed out and without a clue as to what I was doing, started photographing buildings and architectural details I loved around Toronto. Most of the pictures I turned into black and white, because at the time I was convinced that was what I wanted to do.

Early in 2009, a photo competition hosted by the City of Toronto, was pointed out to me, and so in the weeks that followed I entered some 63 (I think) images in a wide variety of categories. The city went on strike later that year, and so the competition was halted, then delayed, and in my mind forgotten about.

On Christmas eve, I received a letter of congratulations that one of my images had won second prize in the 'city history' category. What a great surprise! I have won a City of Toronto pin, and a pass to the zoo. My photo will of course be published on the citie's website, and possibly in print material.

As for the actual picture, I now look at it and groan. I keep thinking, I should have done this, and done that. The sign is cut off, the tree is in the way...and so forth. So the lesson I guess I have learned is that I have grown, and hopefully developed a better eye. I know I have a long ways to go, but it has been a fun process thus far.

So I just wanted to share with you one of those early photos...a sneak peek so to speak.

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful surprise you received and on Christmas Eve. How delightful!

    The photo, of course is stunning. I can see why it won a prize for city history. Just looking at it awakens emotions of nostalgia and bygone times. It has eloquence and an exquisite taste of antiquated Toronto. Beautiful work, Scott. As always. ^_^

    ~ Rox

    ReplyDelete