Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Dinner


The smell of turkey roasting in the oven fills my tiny apartment. I am always reminded of my grandparents when the smell of a traditional family meal fills the air, and of course Christmas's past. As a child we would head to our grandparents house across the town mid afternoon Christmas Day. Not only would we have yet another Christmas tree surrounded by presents to open, but we would have a huge holiday feast with all the trimmings. Today, it is not the presents I remember, but it is the meal. The turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, and vegetables. I can even remember what dishes each food was served on. The meal was followed by pies, tarts, shortbread cookies, and of course plum pudding. It was scrumptious, and it was cooked with love.

As I sit here with the smells around me, I am aware of how I try to keep the tradition alive. Today, it is just my partner and myself, but I am preparing the same foods, in the same way I remember my Grandmother doing.

I dedicate this entry today to them. I hope they can smell the turkey up in Heaven. I raise my glass to them.

May all our traditions live on.......

Happy Christmas.

(Photo taken at Casa Loma, 2009.)

No comments:

Post a Comment